You may have noticed a test type on your dashboard called an App test.
When you accept an App test on your iPhone or iPad device, the customer will ask you to review one of the following:
- An app in the Apple App Store
- An app via a direct download
- An app via a direct download through Apple’s developer app called TestFlight
How do I test an app in the Apple App Store?
1. Once you start your test, you’ll see a message and link at the top of the UserTesting Recorder that asks you to download the test app from the App Store.
2. Tap the link to open the App Store and download the test app. Once you download the test app, return to the UserTesting app.
3. Continue through the test as normal, switching back to the test app when you need to.
How do I test an app via a direct download?
1. Once you complete the steps to start recording, you’ll see instructions for how to download the test app.
2. Tap Open Safari to view the install page. Once the install page opens, tap Install until the app begins installing on your device.
3. Once the app is installed, you’ll need to trust UserTesting in your device settings. Please make sure the test app has fully installed before beginning the process to trust UserTesting.
4. To trust UserTesting, navigate to Settings > General > Device Management and find User Testing Inc.
5. Tap Trust when the prompt appears.
6. Return to the test app you just installed and tap Open in UserTesting. The test scenario will open, and you'll be able to continue with your test as normal.
How do I test an app via a direct download through Apple’s developer app called TestFlight?
Once you complete the steps to start recording, you’ll see instructions on how to install TestFlight and the test app.
1. First, tap Install TestFlight to go to the App Store and install TestFlight.
2. Once you have TestFlight installed, return to the UserTesting Recorder and tap Install App to install the test app within TestFlight. Tap No Thanks when prompted to turn on automatic updates.
3. Once you install the test app, tap Open to open it and then return to UserTesting and tap Start Test.
4. Complete the test as normal, switching between the UserTesting Recorder and the test app as needed.