Review this article to learn how to complete your test on a computer. To make sure you're using a supported device, check our minimum system requirements.
Introduction to the Recorder
After you complete the microphone check during the recorder setup, you’ll review an animation of how to navigate between the task instructions and the content you'll give feedback on during your test.
With the task instructions open, you’ll review the test content the customer has provided. Remember to keep the task instructions open during the entire session.
Example: A customer may ask you to visit the webpage for their company and explain how easy or difficult it is to find a selection of products.
The clip below offers a preview of this experience:
Tips for Success
When you have a good understanding of how you’ll switch between the tabs and/or windows, click Next to review a few tips to make sure you’re prepared to provide feedback. You'll also have the option to watch a video guide with more helpful information.
Start the Session
To begin the session, click the Start recording button, and a countdown will begin.
Provide Your Feedback
- Once the countdown has finished, your test will start. On the next screen, you should see a red recording symbol to indicate that the recorder is now capturing your screen. Next to this symbol, you’ll find a timer that keeps track of the time you’ve spent on the test.
You’ll also see the Scenario on this page. The scenario is the mindset you should adopt throughout the session. Doing so will help you step into the shoes of the target customer.
Example: If the scenario states: “...you are looking to buy a new pair of trainers…,” do your best to pretend that you’re really buying new trainers, even if you’re not really interested in making this kind of purchase.
- When you have a clear understanding of the scenario and what’s expected of you, click the Open test page button to open the test page in a new tab. This test page includes the content you should review during the test.
- After this page has opened, return to the scenario screen by clicking on the first tab.
When you're ready to continue, click Next to view instructions for the first task. The task instructions explain the steps you should complete during your session.
Review the scenario and previous tasks
- If at any point you need to review the Scenario, you can click on the scenario button, and a pop-up window will appear.
- When you’re done, click Close to return to the task instructions.
- After you’ve completed the first task, click Next to continue to the following set of task instructions.
- Carefully read the instructions and switch to the second tab or window to view the test site and complete your task.
- When you’ve finished the task according to the instructions, return to the first tab or window. Repeat this process until you have finished every task.
- If you realize you’ve accidentally skipped ahead and need to revisit the instructions for a previous task, you can click on the Previous task button to open a window and reread the instructions for that task.
Pause the test
Remember, it's important that you complete your test in a distraction-free setting. If you're interrupted while providing feedback, you can use the pause button and then resume your test when you're ready.
End the session
Quit the test
If you're interrupted during the recording or you're unable to complete the session for any reason, you can click on the Quit test button .
Report a problem
- If you experience an issue during the test, click the Help button .
- Before you continue, you’ll have the chance to review some support resources, including a link to the Support Center and a video with tips on how to provide feedback during your test.
- If you can’t find a solution to your issue using either of these resources, click the Report a Problem button .
- On the Report a Problem screen, select the option that best describes your problem, and then provide a detailed description in the More details field.
- After you select your reason and submit the report, you can provide us with your email address in order to receive updates on your problem report.
Upload your recording
- When you've successfully completed each task, take a moment to share any final thoughts, questions, or suggestions you may have about your experience.
This is a good opportunity to review what you shared during the session and to offer any other feedback you may have.
- Once you’ve shared your feedback, click the Stop Recording button.
- Answer a few Final Questions, and when you're ready to submit your responses, click the Finish Test button.
- You should see a screen that displays the progress of your upload. Please keep this window open until this process is complete. You’ll know your test has successfully uploaded when you see the screen with the message, "Great job!”